Posts Tagged Jesner Bank
Nevsun Resources Ltd. v. Gize Yebeyo Araya, et al. Some of the unanswered Kiobel and Jesner Bank issues now at the Canadian Supreme Court.
Plenty of goings-on in the Corporate Social Responsibility /mass torts category, as regular readers of the blog and /or my Twitter-feed will know. Thank you Jutta Brunnée for alerting us to Nevsun Resources v Gize Ybeyo et al, currently making its way through the Canadian Supreme Court. Thank you also Cory Wanless for pointing out the core of the issue: Nevsun are not contesting jurisdiction (its existence is secure; much like in the EU context) e.g. on forum non conveniens grounds. Rather, the Supreme Court is asked whether there should be a new tort of breach of international law, and whether the “act of state” doctrine prevents adjudication.
The first question undoubtedly will lead to a discussion of similar issues raised in Kiobel, where they were not discussed by the USSC, and in Jesner Bank, where the USCC refused to be the dealmaker on public international law. The second issue is likely to imply consideration of the very foreign poicy considerations which featured heavily in circuit considerations prior to Kiobel.
(Handbook of) European Private International Law, 2nd ed. 2016, Chapter 8, Heading 8.3.
Act of State, Alien Tort Statute, Canada, Corporate social responsibility, CSR, Duty of care, foreign soverreign immunity, High Court, Jesner Bank, Kiobel, Nevsun, Nevsun Resources Ltd. v. Gize Yebeyo Araya, piercing the veil, Shell, Supreme Court, Unilever
- Snöfrost AB v. Håkansson. Applying forum non conveniens in the US. 23/03/2019
- Notaries, national certificates of succession and the concept of ‘court’. Bot AG in WB. 22/03/2019
- BUAK. The concept of ‘court’ (Article 267 TFEU), ‘civil and commercial’, and the social security exception in the Brussels I Recast. 21/03/2019
- Unstunned slaughter and organic labelling. CJEU gets it wrong on Shechita (kosjer) and zabihah (halal). 15/03/2019
- TPS-NOLO (Geobal): CJEU on take-back of ‘waste’, relation with REACH. 15/03/2019
Also of noteMy Tweets