Posts Tagged http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2018/191.html
Update 16 May 2018 Vedanta have been given permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.
Update 7 March For a great supplement simply refer to Penelope Bergkamp’s post in which she discusses the wider issues of parent liablity v veil piercing etc.
The Court of Appeal, referring powerfully ia to VTB, has confirmed (albeit with dissenting opinion) lack of the English courts jurisdiction in  EWCA Civ 191 Okpabi et al v Shell. I reviewed the High Court’s decision in same here. Plenty of the High Court’s considerations. e.g. (pro inspiratio) joinder under Brussels I Recast, and the optionally distributive lex causae rule under Article 7 Rome II, do not feature in the Court of Appeal’s approach.
The crucial take-away from the judgment is that the English courts do not believe that headquarter instructed mandatory compliance, equates control. This runs along the lines of Scheindlin USDJ’s approach in Apartheid.
(Handbook of) European Private International Law, 2nd ed. 2016, Chapter 8, Heading 8.3.
2017 EWHC 89 (TCC), abuse, abuse of process, abuse of rights, Anchor defendant, article 7, case management, Corporate social responsibility, CSR, environmental damage, FNC, Forum non conveniens, High Court, http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2018/191.html, http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/TCC/2017/89.html, Locus damni, Locus delicti commissi, Nigeria, Okpabi v Shell, Owusu, Rome II, Shell,  EWCA Civ 191
- Cunico v Daskalakis. Lugano Convention, employment and choice of court. 22/01/2019
- Liberato: violation of lis alibi pendens rules does not justify refusal of enforcement on grounds of ordre public. 21/01/2019
- DES v Clarins. The law applicable to ending commercial agency: Granarolo (and Rome I’s /Rome Convention’s overriding mandatory law rules) applied by Paris Court of Appeal. 18/01/2019
- Forget what you have read. Szpunar AG does not restrict EU ‘Right to be forgotten’ /data protection laws to European territory. 15/01/2019
- SAS Institute v World Programming. Ordre Public, res judicata, fraus and (European) statute conspire against enforcement. 14/01/2019
Also of noteMy Tweets