Posts Tagged http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2018/191.html
Update 24 July 2019 the Supreme Court have granted to leave to appeal to it. Watch this space.
Update 7 March For a great supplement simply refer to Penelope Bergkamp’s post in which she discusses the wider issues of parent liablity v veil piercing etc.
The Court of Appeal, referring powerfully ia to VTB, has confirmed (albeit with dissenting opinion) lack of the English courts jurisdiction in  EWCA Civ 191 Okpabi et al v Shell. I reviewed the High Court’s decision in same here. Plenty of the High Court’s considerations. e.g. (pro inspiratio) joinder under Brussels I Recast, and the optionally distributive lex causae rule under Article 7 Rome II, do not feature in the Court of Appeal’s approach.
The crucial take-away from the judgment is that the English courts do not believe that headquarter instructed mandatory compliance, equates control. This runs along the lines of Scheindlin USDJ’s approach in Apartheid.
(Handbook of) European Private International Law, 2nd ed. 2016, Chapter 8, Heading 8.3.
2017 EWHC 89 (TCC), abuse, abuse of process, abuse of rights, Anchor defendant, article 7, case management, Corporate social responsibility, CSR, environmental damage, FNC, Forum non conveniens, High Court, http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2018/191.html, http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/TCC/2017/89.html, Locus damni, Locus delicti commissi, Nigeria, Ogale, Okpabi v Shell, Owusu, Rome II, Shell,  EWCA Civ 191
- Dinant Bar v maître JN. Bar membership fees. Saugmansdgaard ØE on whether they are at all ‘civil and commercial’ and if so, whether they are ‘contractual’. 21/08/2019
- Koza v Akcil: The UK Supreme Court does not follow Court of Appeal on exclusive jurisdiction for company matters. 15/08/2019
- Politus BV. The Nyrstar (Belgium) scheme of arrangement’s jurisdictional confirmation. 13/08/2019
- ED&F Man Capital Markets v Come Harvest Holding et al. First application of the UKSC Vedanta ruling and applicable law issues under Rome II Articles 4 and 10. 08/08/2019
- W v L. Brussels IIa and forum non conveniens ex-EU. 06/08/2019
Also of noteMy Tweets