Posts Tagged BHP Billiton
The media have been reporting on a considerable class action lawsuit, underway in the English courts, in the Corporate Social Responsibility /mass torts category.
The class action case was filed against Anglo-Australian company BHP Billiton on behalf of 240,000 individuals, 24 municipal governments, 11,000 businesses, a Catholic archdiocese and about 200 members of the Krenak indigenous community. It concerns victims of the Samarco dam collapse in Mariana three years ago.
I am reporting the case simply to ensure complete overview of the CSR /jurisdiction /applicable law issues reported on the blog. For as I am co-counsel acting for the claimants, I am not in a position to comment on the case until and if legal analysis will be in the public domain.
(Handbook of) European Private International Law, 2nd ed. 2016, Chapter 8, Heading 8.3.
2017 EWHC 89 (TCC), abuse, abuse of process, abuse of rights, Anchor defendant, article 7, Bento Rodrigues, BHP Billiton, case management, Chandler v Cape, Corporate social responsibility, CSR, Duty of care, environmental damage, FNC, Forum non conveniens, Gemfield, High Court, http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2017/371.html, http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/TCC/2017/89.html, Lex causae, lex fori, Locus damni, Locus delicti commissi, Nigeria, Okpabi v Shell, Owusu, piercing the veil, procedural law, Rome II, Samarco, Shell, Unilever,  EWCA Civ 525,  EWHC 371 (QB),  EWCA Civ 1532
- Steady now. Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek v Facebook. The CJEU on jurisdiction and removal of hate speech. 10/10/2019
- Elena Tsareva et al v Dimitri Ananyev et al. Cypriot passports, forum shopping and anchor defendants in England. 08/10/2019
- Blaise and others: The CJEU on precaution and regulatory approval. 07/10/2019
- International marriages: MP v ML: What happens in Vegas, did not happen at all. 04/10/2019
- Skarb Państwa v Stephan Riel (qq insolvency trustee Alpine Bau). 02/10/2019
Also of noteMy Tweets