Posts Tagged Bento Rodrigues
The media have been reporting on a considerable class action lawsuit, underway in the English courts, in the Corporate Social Responsibility /mass torts category.
The class action case was filed against Anglo-Australian company BHP Billiton on behalf of 240,000 individuals, 24 municipal governments, 11,000 businesses, a Catholic archdiocese and about 200 members of the Krenak indigenous community. It concerns victims of the Samarco dam collapse in Mariana three years ago.
I am reporting the case simply to ensure complete overview of the CSR /jurisdiction /applicable law issues reported on the blog. For as I am co-counsel acting for the claimants, I am not in a position to comment on the case until and if legal analysis will be in the public domain.
(Handbook of) European Private International Law, 2nd ed. 2016, Chapter 8, Heading 8.3.
2017 EWHC 89 (TCC), abuse, abuse of process, abuse of rights, Anchor defendant, article 7, Bento Rodrigues, BHP Billiton, case management, Chandler v Cape, Corporate social responsibility, CSR, Duty of care, environmental damage, FNC, Forum non conveniens, Gemfield, High Court, http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2017/371.html, http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/TCC/2017/89.html, Lex causae, lex fori, Locus damni, Locus delicti commissi, Nigeria, Okpabi v Shell, Owusu, piercing the veil, procedural law, Rome II, Samarco, Shell, Unilever,  EWCA Civ 525,  EWHC 371 (QB),  EWCA Civ 1532
- Koza v Akcil: The UK Supreme Court does not follow Court of Appeal on exclusive jurisdiction for company matters. 15/08/2019
- Politus BV. The Nyrstar (Belgium) scheme of arrangement’s jurisdictional confirmation. 13/08/2019
- ED&F Man Capital Markets v Come Harvest Holding et al. First application of the UKSC Vedanta ruling and applicable law issues under Rome II Articles 4 and 10. 08/08/2019
- W v L. Brussels IIa and forum non conveniens ex-EU. 06/08/2019
- The wealth in Paul Holgate v Addleshaw Goddard (Scotland). Intra-UK conflicts, the Gourdain insolvency exception; anchoring; forum contractus; and a stay on forum non conveniens grounds. 01/08/2019
Also of noteMy Tweets