Posts Tagged Bento Rodrigues
The media have been reporting on a considerable class action lawsuit, underway in the English courts, in the Corporate Social Responsibility /mass torts category.
The class action case was filed against Anglo-Australian company BHP Billiton on behalf of 240,000 individuals, 24 municipal governments, 11,000 businesses, a Catholic archdiocese and about 200 members of the Krenak indigenous community. It concerns victims of the Samarco dam collapse in Mariana three years ago.
I am reporting the case simply to ensure complete overview of the CSR /jurisdiction /applicable law issues reported on the blog. For as I am co-counsel acting for the claimants, I am not in a position to comment on the case until and if legal analysis will be in the public domain.
(Handbook of) European Private International Law, 2nd ed. 2016, Chapter 8, Heading 8.3.
2017 EWHC 89 (TCC), abuse, abuse of process, abuse of rights, Anchor defendant, article 7, Bento Rodrigues, BHP Billiton, case management, Chandler v Cape, Corporate social responsibility, CSR, Duty of care, environmental damage, FNC, Forum non conveniens, Gemfield, High Court, http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2017/371.html, http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/TCC/2017/89.html, Lex causae, lex fori, Locus damni, Locus delicti commissi, Nigeria, Okpabi v Shell, Owusu, piercing the veil, procedural law, Rome II, Samarco, Shell, Unilever,  EWCA Civ 525,  EWHC 371 (QB),  EWCA Civ 1532
- Hong Ziyun v Chan Kwan Ming. A reminder of the one-stop shop principle in Hong Kong. 25/01/2020
- Heiploeg: Transfer of undertakings, employee protection and pre-packs. The Dutch Supreme Court Advocate-General on the implications of CJEU Smallsteps. 24/01/2020
- Two negatives a positive make? A brief report on anti anti-suit in (among others) continental courts. 22/01/2020
- Anti-suit and arbitration. Enka Insaat ve Sanayi v OOO “Insurance Company Chubb” et al. 20/01/2020
- Ships classification and certification agencies: The immunity ship ain’t sailing according to Szpunar AG in Rina. 16/01/2020
Also of noteMy Tweets