Posts Tagged Acacia
NN v Barrick Tz Limited (Acacia) in the English courts. Another CSR /jurisdictional marker with likely role for Articles 33-34 Brussels Ia.
I have for the moment little to go on in a new claim, launched in the English courts, in the Corporate Social Responsibility /mass torts category. The claim was apparently filed against Barrick Tz Limited, formerly Acacia Mining, domiciled in the UK, alleging human rights abuses by security forces at the company’s North Mara mine.
Of jurisdictional note undoubtedly will be the application of Articles 33-34 Brussels Ia: forum non conveniens – light, and a likely application for summary judgment by defendant. There is as far as I know no mother holding issue involved, unlike in Vedanta or Bento Rodriguez /Samarco.
(Handbook of) European Private International Law, 2nd ed. 2016, Chapter 8, Heading 8.3.
Claim was issued against Barrick Tz Limited, formerly known as Acacia Mining.
— Geert Van Calster (@GAVClaw) February 10, 2020
Acacia, Acacia Mining, Article 33, Article 34, article 7, Barrick, Barrick Tz Limited, Brussels Ia, Chandler v Cape, Corporate social responsibility, CSR, due diligence, Duty of care, environmental damage, FNC, Forum non conveniens, North Mara, Tanzania
- Gray v Hurley. Court of Appeal refers to Luxembourg on anti-suit to support EU jurisdiction against ex-EU action. 19/02/2020
- Applicable law and arbitration. Sulamerica extensively discussed in Kabab-Ji SAL v Kout Food Group. 17/02/2020
- NN v Barrick Tz Limited (Acacia) in the English courts. Another CSR /jurisdictional marker with likely role for Articles 33-34 Brussels Ia. 14/02/2020
- Hutchinson v MAPFRE and Ice Mountain (Obeach) Ibiza. Spotlight on the consumer and insurance title of Brussels Ia. 12/02/2020
- A quick (jurisdictional) note on the Cobalt supply chain litigation. 11/02/2020
Also of noteMy Tweets